Analysis-Investors look to emerging markets as planets align for end of dollar bull market
By Saqib Iqbal Ahmed
NEW YORK (Reuters) – As the US dollar tumbles from multi-decade highs, some investors are betting emerging market currencies will be big winners from a sustained reversal in the greenback.
The MSCI International Emerging Market Currency Index is up nearly 5% from its lows and notched its best monthly gain in about seven years in November, as expectations that the Federal Reserve will soon slow the pace of its interest rate hikes bolstered the case for investors betting on emerging market currencies.
Signs of a broader turn in dollar sentiment are visible in the buck’s 8% decline against a basket of developed market currencies from its September highs. In futures markets in November, speculative traders swung to a net short position on the US dollar for the first time in 16 months, calculations by Reuters based on US Commodity Futures Trading Commission data shown.
“The planets are lining up for a dollar bear market,” said Paresh Upadhyaya, director of fixed income and currency strategy at Amundi US.
Emerging market currencies have outperformed their developed market counterparts this year, with MSCI’s index of emerging market currencies down 5% year-to-date, while the dollar’s G10 peers have lost nearly twice as much.
GRAPHIC: EM currencies https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/mkt/akpeqzkxmpr/Pasted%20image%201670273827457.png
In addition to the possibility of slower Fed hikes, investors cited expectations that China will loosen its strict COVID-19 containment policy and comparatively rich yields found in many EM countries as reasons for adding to positions in emerging market currencies.
Amundi’s Upadhyaya is focusing on the currencies of high-yielding emerging market countries that have balanced current accounts and smaller budget deficits, including the Brazilian real, Peruvian sol= and Indian rupee.
Some emerging markets offer attractive yields even adjusted for inflation. For instance, the inflation-adjusted yield on the US 10-year Treasuries is at 1.08%, compared with 6.07% for the Brazilian equivalent.
Investors have cheered the prospect of a shift in China’s COVID-19 policy, after rare street protests increased pressure on officials to ease some rules. China – the world’s second-largest economy and a key consumer of the commodities produced by many emerging market countries – is set to announce a further easing of its COVID curbs as early as Wednesday, sources said.
The Chinese yuan is up about 5% against the dollar since late October and posted its best weekly performance against the US currency in at least two decades on Friday, while the Hang Seng Index rose 27% in November, its best month since October 1998.
“I think the cat is out of the bag. They can’t go back to their purely restrictive zero COVID policy,” said Jack McIntyre, a portfolio manager at Brandywine Global.
McIntyre has been increasing exposure to some Asian currencies, including the Thai baht and the Malaysian ringgit. Thailand’s currency rose 8% in November, while the ringgit appreciated 6%.
Some investors think it may be too early to bet on a sustained dollar reversal. While Fed Chair Jerome Powell said last week it was time to slow the pace of coming interest rate hikes, the central bank could raise rates further than previously anticipated as it fights the worst inflation in decades.
At the same time, signs of stubborn inflation in next week’s US consumer price data could reignite bets on Fed hawkishness and boost the dollar.
Investors broadly expect the Fed to raise rates by 50 basis points next week, after a spate of 75 basis-point rate increases.
Conversely, tightening by central banks around the world also risks sparking a global recession, a scenario some believe could hurt emerging market currencies and help the dollar.
A global slowdown “would create a safe haven bid and limit the ability of most cycle-sensitive currencies to rally against the dollar,” said Aaron Hurd, senior portfolio manager, currency, at State Street Global Advisors.
Others, however, are betting China’s reopening bodes well for certain emerging-market currencies.
Carlos Fernandez-Aller, head of Global FX and EM Macro trading at Bank of America, sees an eventual China reopening boosting the Thai baht, which he believes will benefit from an increase in tourism.
Analysts at Société Générale, meanwhile, said an easing of China’s COVID restrictions could buoy the South African rand, forecasting an 18% gain in total return terms for the commodity exporter’s currency next year.
“Improvements in fundamentals, valuations, and technical factors make the argument for stronger EM FX performance over the next year,” they wrote in a recent report.
(Reporting by Saqib Iqbal Ahmed in New York; Additional reporting by Davide Barbuscia in New York; Editing by Ira Iosebashvili and Matthew Lewis)
Truck driver Jobs in Canada
- LocationAlbright, AB
- Salary 31.50 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment permanent employment
- The start date starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 5 vacancies
- Source Job Bank #2269695
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Experience an asset
- Operate and drive straight or articulated trucks to transport goods and materials
- Oversee the condition of the vehicle and inspect tires, lights, brakes, cold storage, and other equipment
- Perform brake adjustments
- Perform emergency roadside repairs
- Perform pre-trip, en route, and post-trip inspections and oversee all aspects of vehicle
- Perform preventive maintenance
- Record cargo information, hours of service, distance traveled, and fuel consumption
- Tarping and ensuring the safety and security of cargo
- Transport and handle dangerous goods
Certificates, licenses, memberships, and courses
- Driver’s License (Class 1 or A)
Who can apply for this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
63042 TOWNSHIP ROAD 730
Important notice: This job posting was posted directly by the employer on Job Bank. The Government of Canada has taken steps to make sure it is accurate and reliable but cannot guarantee its authenticity.
Job in Canada free visa and flight ticket
AUTO CAD Operator
Office Boy / Girl
1. Corporate Accountant
2. Health Manager
3. Credit Risk Analyst
4. Market Risk Analyst
5. Drilling Superintendent
6. Contracts Specialist
7. Maintenance Superintendent
8. Senior Mechanical Maintenance Engineer Specialist
9. Offshore Installation Manager
10. Laboratory Manager
11. Cost Control Specialist
12. Marine Superintendent
13. Senior Products Operations Specialist
14. SRU Supervisor
15. Offshore Production Superintendent
16. Sales & Service Consultant (M/f/d)
17. HSEQ Manager
18. Lead Business Developer
19. Compliance & Spa Specialist
20. HSE Supervisor (Well OPS)
21. D&IT Business Analyst
22. Budgeting & Reporting Analyst
23. RESP Production & Helpdesk
24. Contract Administrator
25. Drilling & Workover Coordinator
26. Maintenance Engineering Coordinator
27. Maintenance Planner
28. Sales Specialist For Wholesale (M/f/d)
29. Digital & It Senior Business Analyst Middle Office
30. Gas Network Maintenance Operator
31. Territorial Responsible Gas Network Maintenance
32. Drilling And Completion Superintendent
33. Contract Administrator Coordinator
34. Professional Truck Driver (M/f/d)
35. Senior Operator
36. Field Manager
37. HR Generalist (M/f/d)
38. Drilling Supervisor
39. Production Supervisor
40. Maintenance Planning Coordinator
41. Planning & Reporting Specialist
42. Legal Counsel
43. Senior Maintenance Planning Specialist
44. Corrosion Assistant General Manager
45. Inspection Engineer
46. Senior Products Operations Specialist
47. Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor
48. Asset Integrity Assistant General Manager
49. FPSO Marine Coordinator
50. Senior HR & Contract Administrator
Where to work?
- Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
- JOB AVAILABLE IN CANADA FOR ALL NATIONALITY WITH FREE VISA AND FLIGHT TICKET KINDLY CHAT WITH THE OFFICIAL HIRING MANAGER FOR MORE INFORMATION Whatsapp Your CV: +44 7593 884670
Free UK Health Care Work Permit
Job Description & Entitlements
We are looking for Full Time Permanent Staff Career Driven Individuals
We Provide Home Care Services For Those In Need at all stages of life’s Journey. Care work for females generally looking after the elderly including Domiciliary / Personal care & General day-to-day routine tasks, especially household.
Respite and Holiday Care
Dementia and Alzheimer’s Care
The Applicant will be entitled to free National Health Service (NHS)
Annual Salary (£22K to £30K) Pounds Sterling.
Fuel expenses whilst at work included.
Free Education for children and spouse visa included (Husband) may work in any job as his wish.
After 5 years of service, the family will be entitled to a British Passport and UK Nationality.
IELTS Course (Women) 4.5 band minimum
Must have excellent communication skills (English)
Driving License (Highly Desirable)
Any related or previous experience (Desirable)
Whatsapp Your CV: +44 7542 546700
Matrimony4 months ago
Top Free matrimonial | Dating Websites in the USA
News3 months ago
Free British Work Visa Permit Skilled Worker Visa Tier 2
News3 months ago
Job in Canada free visa and flight ticket
Business4 months ago
10 Reasons Why You Should Consider an Online Business Degree
News4 months ago
IRS Tax Debt Relief Program – How to Get Help With Your Tax Debt
Business3 months ago
Comparing Car Insurance Sites: Who Comes Out on Top?
News4 months ago
Indonesia bans sex outside marriage as parliament passes sweeping new criminal code
Health4 months ago
5 exercises that women over 60 can do